The Kama Sutra is an ancient Indian text on sexuality and relationships.
You’ve probably heard about this iconic collection of ancient texts that have been sensationalized in pop culture. When it’s mentioned, racy images or movies featuring intimate acts between consenting adults may come to mind.
Jokes are sometimes made about Kama Sutra, and it has become quite synonymous with sex.
Vatsyayana Mallanaga compiled the teachings for a Hindu audience, though it’s hard to pinpoint the exact author. Fortunately, the modern world is able to benefit from translated versions of this Sanskrit text.
For those wondering what all the fuss is about—Kama Sutra is basically all you need to know when it comes to getting busy with your partner.
If you’re just starting out, then you should know that Hinduism is one of the most popular religions in the world. Just third place after Christianity and Islam. Its believers are found in Nepal, India, Bali and Bangladesh.
This faith isn’t just huge though; it’s ancient too. It all began with Vedic traditions thousands of years ago – around a time when India was only just discovering iron and beginning to use it. The Vedic system of worship is credited as the foundation of modern Hinduism.
It’s quite amazing that something so old still has such an impact on our everyday lives nowadays!
The Kama Sutra might be a bit of a misnomer for the modern person, suggesting it’s all about sex. But that’s not the case! Instead, this ancient Indian collection is more focused on providing guidance to everyday folk on how to live their life with others.
It covers almost everything from tending to personal business to hanging out with friends and lovers.
It wasn’t just meant for guys either; the Kama Sutra provides advice to women as well. In short, it was sort of like a manual for how everyone should interact with each other.
Plus, there are even tips on how you (as a dude) can charm members of the opposite sex.
Exploring the Origins of the Kama Sutra
It turns out that Ancient India had three writings about life. We only have one of them today – the Kama Sutra. It talks about the four goals of life: power, pleasure, morality and Moksha (liberation from the cycle of reincarnation).
Vervatsyayana was the one who wrote it down back in the 4th century. He changed the way it was written to make it easier to understand and then British scholars translated it into English.
Pretty cool that this has survived so long!
On the literary scene, the Kama Sutra first made its way to the English-speaking world in 1883. A Sir Francis Burton got together with some Indian natives to get the most accurate translations of these traditional writings.
Since then, plenty of other scholars have put out their own takes on these texts.
A book titled “The Complete Kama Sutra” came out not too long ago, in 1994. It was written by Alain Danielou and first released in French before being translated into English. In this book you’ll find plenty of useful info as it was updated for a modern audience.
The Kama Sutra in Modern Times
These days, a ton of folks are still turning to the Kama Sutra for help with their relationships. It’s an ancient tome that talks about pretty much anything when it comes to romance – from courting and coitus to marriage. Plus, its descriptions of sexual positions have really piqued the interest of many couples who want to spice up their love life.
It’s no wonder then why so many conversations these days involve bedroom activities which have been outlined in this ancient book.
With the hustle and bustle of our modern lives, it can often be difficult for couples to keep their connection with each other alive and thriving.
Things like arguments, infidelity, and even pornography unfortunately rear their ugly heads more often than we’d like.
This is where the Kama Sutra comes in – providing couples with simple techniques to inject some passion back into their relationship and ultimately create a sense of contentment.
So, while life may have changed since the original Kama Sutra came out centuries ago, its teachings are still as relevant as ever!
The Most Popular Kama Sutra Positions
There are 64 positions listed in the Kama Sutra, allowing couples to explore different forms of pleasure and intimacy. But these 10 positions are the most popular for couples wanting to take their sex lives to another level:
- The Yawning Position – A deep penetration that allows optimal eye contact which can create a strong and intimate connection.
- Lotus Blossom – This position has greater stability and strength which helps to increase pleasure while providing maximum contact between partners.
- The Dove’s Pose – Combines missionary and woman on top positions, this posture allows both partners to be in control during thrusts and each can share their emotions with eye contact throughout.
- The Bridge – This position really opens up the hips for greater sensation and allows a partner to reach deeper penetration.
- Sitting Spider – Another intimate position that allows for intense eye contact, this posture gives both partners a higher level of control when it comes to physiological pleasure.
- The 69 – This popular oral sex position gives both partners simultaneous pleasure. By facing each other in a mutual, comfortable position, with their bodies side by side or stacked upon each other, the couple can enjoy mutual oral gratification in an incredibly intimate way.
- The Ballerina – This passionate position allows for deep penetration and grinding as the partners move against each other gracefully and in time with perfect rhythm.
- The Scissors – This is a great way to mix up missionary and doggy style positions, allowing both partners to share the pleasure of deep penetration while being able to face each other during thrusts.
- The Cowboy – This classic position gives the man control while his partner can enjoy the sensation of being pressed up against him as he thrusts deeply within her.
- The Cat – In this posture, one partner lies on their back while their partner kneels above them and wraps their legs around them for an incredibly pleasing yet stimulating experience for both parties involved. With long slow strokes, this posture can be incredibly enjoyable for couples looking to explore deeper levels of intimacy together!
What The Kama Sutra Teaches About Relationships
The Kama Sutra is more than just a collection of sexual positions. It is also a detailed guide to companionship and relationships, helping individuals cultivate meaningful romantic relationships with their partners.
The Kama Sutra addresses issues such as:
- Mutual understanding
For example, the Kama Sutra emphasizes that love and affection between partners should never be taken for granted. It encourages couples to find new ways to express their love for one another both in and out of the bedroom.
The text also explains that intimacy is created through shared activities such as dining together, playing games or having conversations about life experiences may help foster closeness and understanding in a relationship.
It teaches that it is also important to practice self-care and look after physical, emotional and mental wellbeing. Couples can tap into the teachings of the Kama Sutra in order to benefit from deeper understanding of themselves and their partners, resulting in stronger relationships.