Level of Difficulty:
Level of Flexibility:
Best for Body Types:
The Sphinx sex position, also known as the Reverse Cowgirl Out of the Stirrups sex position, is a great position for both anal and vaginal sex and it caters to all sexualities.
There’s a lot of great things about this position, especially the view the penetrating partner has of their mate. With all their partner’s best bits on full display – what’s not to love about the Sphinx? Perfect for getting a little hands-on with some naughty play, like a little spanking or squeezing while their partner rides away.
In this position, the penetrating partner lies down on their back, bending their knees, while the receiving partner mounts them, facing away. But instead of sitting in the usual reverse Cowgirl position, they’ll need to lean forward and hold onto their partner’s knees for some support. This takes pressure off the receiver’s knees. Once positioned, the receiver can start bouncing up and down or grinding against their partner, depending on what they prefer.
In this position, the partner on top holds all the cards–literally. Their partner’s body is at their mercy as they set the pace, thrusting and grinding as they please. But that’s not to say the partner on bottom is powerless; they can still add their own flair to the proceedings by grabbing onto their lover’s rear and guiding their movements.
And although the Sphinx sex position is a simple one to execute, it does require a bit of finesse and flexibility on the penetrating partner’s part.
The receiving partner would also benefit by being somewhat flexible. The partner on top can change the angle of penetration by arching their back which will really hit their G-spot or prostate.
The Sphinx sex position is similar to Reverse Cowgirl except the receiver leans more forward again their partner’s raised knees, changing up the angle and depth of penetration.
How does a couple perform the Sphinx sex position?
- The penetrating partner lies on their back with their legs bent
- The receiving partner mounts them, facing away.
- The receiving partner then leans forward, holding onto the knees of the penetrating partner for support, and squeezing their partner with their legs, like riding a horse.
- The partner on top can set the pace, thrusting and grinding as they please.
- The partner on bottom can guide the movements of their partner by grabbing onto their rear.
- The partner on top can also arch their back to change the angle of penetration and hit their partner’s G-spot or prostate.
How difficult is the Sphinx sex position to do?
This position is not for the faint of heart or those with weak back and leg muscles. It requires a bit of core strength from the person on bottom to maintain the arch position, and a fair amount of flexibility in the legs.
Executing this move also requires some skill on the part of the person on top. While they’re holding their partner’s legs, they need to be careful not to put too much pressure on the knees, which could lead to pain.
All in all, this is a move that takes some practice to perfect. But once you do, it’ll be well worth the effort.
Is the Sphinx sex position good for vaginal sex?
This position is ideal for all kinds of vaginal sex, from slow and sensual to hard and fast. The person on top can change the angle of penetration by leaning forward or back, depending on what feels good. And the person on bottom can grab onto their partner’s hips or back to help control the movement.
This position also provides excellent G-spot stimulation, so it’s a great choice if that’s something you’re looking for.
Is the Sphinx sex position good for anal sex?
The Sphinx is an excellent position for anal sex. The receiver has all the control, so they can go at their own pace and take deep or shallow strokes as they please.
The added bonus of being able to rub their clit or fondle their breasts takes this position over the top.
What are the benefits of the Sphinx sex position?
There are many benefits of the Sphinx sex position, which is why it’s such a popular choice among couples. Some of these benefits include:
- The view. The partner on top has a great view of their partner’s body, which can be very erotic.
- It’s a great position for G-spot or prostate stimulation. The angle of penetration can be changed to hit the G-spot or prostate, depending on the partner’s anatomy.
- It’s great for clitoral stimulation. The partner on bottom can use their hands to stimulate their own clitoris while in this position.
- It’s great for all levels of fitness. This position doesn’t require a lot of physical strength or stamina, making it a great choice for all levels of fitness.
- It’s great for all types of sex. This position can be used for both anal and vaginal sex, making it a versatile choice for all couples.
What are the drawbacks of the Sphinx sex position?
There are a few drawbacks of the Sphinx sex position that couples should be aware of before trying it. These include:
- The partner on top can get tired quickly. This position requires the partner on bottom to support their own weight, which can get tiring quickly. They may need to take a break frequently or transition to another position.
- It can be difficult to maintain balance. The partner on top may need to hold onto their partner’s knees or thighs to maintain balance, which can be difficult if they’re not flexible.
- It can be difficult to find the right angle of penetration. The partner on bottom may need to adjust their position frequently to find the right angle of penetration.
What are the variations of the Sphinx sex position?
There are a few different variations of the Sphinx sex position, which cater to different levels of flexibility and comfort. Here are some examples:
- The Reverse Sphinx: In this variation, the partner on top spins around so they’re facing their partner and leans back against their mate’s knees.
- The Seated Sphinx: In this variation, the partner on bottom sits up, supporting themselves with their hands behind them. The partner on top then straddles them and leans forward. This is a great position for anal sex, as it gives the partner on bottom control over the depth of penetration.
Can sex toys be used with the Sphinx sex position?
In the Sphinx position, the partner on bottom can use their hands to play with their own nipples, clit, or even a sex toy.
The partner on top can help by holding the toy in place or providing clitoral stimulation with their own fingers.
Here are some great sex toys that can be used in the Sphinx position:
- Vibrating cock ring: A cock ring is a great way to add extra stimulation for both partners. The vibrating version will provide clitoral stimulation for the partner on bottom.
- Anal beads: For some extra anal stimulation, try using anal beads. The partner on bottom can insert them before sex and then the partner on top can pull them out during penetration for an added sensation.
- Handheld vibrator: A handheld vibrator can be used to stimulate the partner on bottom’s clit or anus. The partner on top can help guide it for maximum pleasure.
If you like this position, here are four other similar sex positions you might also enjoy:
- Reverse Missionary: In this position, the partners switch roles from the traditional missionary position, with the person on bottom putting their feet up on their partner’s chest. This allows for much deeper penetration.
- 69: This is a classic position for mutual oral sex. The partners lie facing each other and performing oral sex on each other at the same time.
- Anvil: In this position, the receiving partner lies on their back with their legs over their head, while the penetrate partner lies on top of them, facing their feet. This is a great position for deep penetration.
- Doggy Style: In this position, the receiving partner gets down on all fours, while the penetrating partner enters them from behind. This is a classic position for anal or vaginal sex.
The Sphinx is a great position for all kinds of sex – whether you’re gay, straight, or bisexual. It provides a great view for the person on bottom, and it also puts the person on top in control. So if you’re looking for a position that is hot, steamy, and satisfying, look no further than the Sphinx.