We’ve all wondered it, how long can the average man stay erect? We especially wonder when our own erections fall short of our expectations. But because there are so many factors involved, there really is no straight answer.
“Erections are like snowflakes; no two are alike”
says Dr. Michael Patterson, a urologist in California and author of several medical journal papers on improving male erection quality. “There are so many variables that go into how long an erection last, from medications to psychological state to age.”
Dr. Patterson warns that there is no such thing as an “average” erection, and that comparing yourself to others is a surefire way to ruin the moment.
“Erections are special and unique to each individual. They shouldn’t be compared to anyone else’s.”
What is an Erection?
A male erection is a state in which the penis is filled with blood and becomes hard. The process is a result of the nervous system sending signals to the blood vessels in the penis, causing them to dilate and fill with blood.
The blood vessels in the penis then compress, trapping the blood and causing the penis to become erect.
Male erections can occur at any time, but they are most commonly associated with sexual arousal. When sexual arousal occurs, the nervous system sends signals to the blood vessels in the penis, causing them to dilate and fill with blood.
The blood vessels in the penis then compress, trapping the blood and causing the penis to become erect.
Erections can also be a result of physical stimulation, such as rubbing or massaging the penis. In some cases, an erection may occur without any sexual or physical stimulation. This is known as a reflex erection and is most commonly seen in young children or men who have been sexually aroused in the past.
Different Types of Erections
Most guys don’t know this, but there are 3 different types of erections:
- Reflex erection: A reflex erection is when your body automatically responds to sexual stimulation by becoming erect. This type of erection is usually not under your control and can happen at any time.
- Psychogenic erection: A psychogenic erection is when you become erect due to sexual thoughts or feelings. This type of erection is under your control and can happen at any time.
- Spontaneous erection: A spontaneous erection is when you become erect without any sexual thoughts or feelings. This type of erection usually happens during the night (nocturnal penile tumescence) or when you wake up in the morning (morning wood).
How Often Do Most Men Have Erections?
It’s a difficult question to answer because there are so many variables. Age, health, mental state, what’s going on in his life – all of these things can affect a man’s erections.
Generally speaking, younger men tend to have more frequent erections than older men. A healthy man in his 20s might have several erections a day, while a man in his 50s might only have a few per week.
There’s no ‘normal’ number of erections, but if a man is having fewer than usual, it might be a sign that something is wrong.
If you’re concerned about your erections, it’s always worth talking to a doctor.
What Factors Can Affect Erection Duration Time?
There are many factors that can affect male erection duration time, some of which are physical, psychological, and lifestyle related. Here are just a few:
- Performance anxiety: This is one of the most common psychological causes of erectile difficulties. “Anxiety about how one will perform sexually can lead to difficulties achieving or maintaining an erection,” said Dr. Patterson. “This can be a vicious cycle, as sometimes the anxiety is caused by past performance issues.”
- Overall health: “Certain health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and obesity, can lead to erectile difficulties,” said Dr. Patterson. “If you have any concerns about your health, it’s important to speak to your doctor.”
- Medications: There are a number of medications that can interfere with a man’s ability to get or maintain an erection. “Some common culprits are blood pressure medications, antihistamines, and antidepressants,” said Dr. Patterson.
“It’s important to speak to your doctor about any medications you’re taking, as they may be able to adjust your dosage or switch you to a different medication.”
- Alcohol: Drinking too much alcohol can lead to difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection. “Alcohol is a depressant, and can therefore affect the body’s ability to maintain an erection,” said Dr. Patterson. “It’s important to drink in moderation, or not at all, if you want to enjoy a healthy sex life.”
- Smoking: Smoking can damage the blood vessels and affect blood flow, making it difficult to get and maintain an erection.
- Stress or Depression: This is a big one. Stress, anxiety, and depression can all interfere with sexual arousal and make it difficult to maintain an erection.
- Age: “As men age, they may experience difficulties achieving or maintaining an erection,” said Dr. Patterson. “This is often due to a combination of factors, such as decreased blood flow to the penis and reduced testosterone levels.”
- Diet: Eating a healthy diet is important for overall health, but it can also affect your erection. Eating foods that are high in cholesterol and saturated fat can clog the arteries and affect blood flow.
- Fitness: Exercise is important for overall health, but it can also help improve blood flow and reduce erectile dysfunction.
How Long Can the Average Man Stay Erect?
While there is no required “time limit” for an erection, most men would agree that anything lasting longer than 30 minutes is excessive, and anything lasting less than 3 minutes is disappointing.
Age and health play the biggest role in determining how long a male erection can last. “As we age, our erections generally last shorter periods of time,” said Dr. Patterson. “Men in their 20s can expect to last about twice as long as men in their 60s.”
Based on a study of 1,500 men ages 18 to 65, researchers found that the average time between the start of intercourse and ejaculation proved that male erection duration was indeed most heavily dependent on age.
Here is their breakdown by age of average erection times for healthy men:
- Average erection time for an 18-24 year old: 6.5 minutes
- Average erection time for a 25-29 year old: 6.5 minutes
- Average erection time for a 30-39 year old: 5.5 minutes
- Average erection time for a 40-49 year old: 4.5 minutes
- Average erection time for a 50-59 year old: 4.2 minutes
- Average erection time for a 60+ year old: 3.3 minutes
As mentioned earlier, men with underlying health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease can expect to have shorter erections than men who are healthy.
“Erections are a good barometer for overall health,” said Dr. Patterson.
“If a man is having problems maintaining an erection, it’s a good indication that there is an underlying health issue, physical or psychological, that needs to be addressed.”
If you are concerned about your erection quality, or how long you are able to stay erect, speak to your doctor. They will be able to help you identify any underlying health issues and treat them accordingly.
How Long Is Too Long for An Erection?
While there is no “correct” answer, some experts believe that anything lasting longer than 4 hours is too long. This is because a prolonged male erection can cause permanent damage to the penile tissue.
Experts believe that anything lasting longer than 4 hours is too long.
“If you have an erection lasting longer than four hours, you need to seek medical attention,” said Dr. Patterson. “This is a medical emergency and can result in permanent erectile dysfunction.”
He explains that a prolonged male erection is a result of the penis being engorged with blood. “This can happen if there is an injury to the arteries or veins that supply blood to the penis,” he said. “It can also be a side effect of certain medications.”
In either case, it’s important to seek medical attention right away. “The longer the erection lasts, the more likely it is to cause permanent damage,” said Patterson. “If you have a prolonged erection, you should go to the emergency room.”
While it may be embarrassing to talk about, a prolonged erection is a serious medical condition that can have lasting repercussions. If you think you may have a problem, don’t hesitate to seek medical help.
How Can I Increase My Erection Time?
There are a number of ways that may help improve your erections and increase their duration, and many of them have to do with your overall health.
Here are some tips on how to keep it up longer:
- Eat a healthy diet and get regular exercise. This will improve blood flow throughout your body, including to the penis.
- Quit smoking. Smoking damages blood vessels and can lead to erectile dysfunction.
- Reduce stress. Stress can interfere with sexual arousal and lead to erectile dysfunction.
- Talk to your doctor about any medications you’re taking. Some medications can cause erectile dysfunction as a side effect.
- Medication for erectile dysfunction. If you’re struggling with erectile dysfunction, talk to your doctor about medication options. There are a number of effective medications available.
Are There Any Products That Can Help Me Improve My Erection?
There are a number of potential products that can help improve your erections and increase their durations. Here are a few including our product recommendations:
There are many types of medication that can help improve erections. These include phosphodiesterase inhibitors such as sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), and vardenafil (Levitra); hormones such as testosterone; and agents that can improve blood flow to the penis such as alprostadil (Caverject, Edex).
Since this can be a rather embarrassing subject to discuss with your doctor, we highly recommend an online service called forhims.com.
There are many herbal supplements that claim to improve erections. While there is little scientific evidence to support these claims, there is a ton of anecdotal evidence to back them up.
There are several devices that can be used to improve erections. These include vacuum devices (aka penis pumps) which work by creating a negative pressure around the penis and drawing blood into it.
There are also penile implants, which are surgically inserted into the penis.
Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to try first. A cock ring helps to keep blood from flowing out of the penis, which can help you maintain an erection for a longer period of time
How Can I Stop an Erection?
So you’re erection has lasted more than a few hours. Maybe you took some Viagra or maybe you were just really turned on.
But now you need to get rid of it and there’s no time for sex. Here are a few ways to deflate your erection:
- Lose focus: Once you stop thinking about sex or whatever was causing your initial arousal, your erection will usually go away on its own.
- Try to think of something unsexy: This is easier said than done, but if you can focus your attention on something else, your erection will start to go away.
- Take a cold shower: The shock of cold water can sometimes be enough to jolt your body out of arousal.
- Get moving: Exercise can help to get rid of an unwanted erection by increasing blood flow to other parts of your body and taking your mind off of sexual thoughts.
- Apply pressure: Place your palm on the head of your penis and apply pressure. This can help to close off the veins that are keeping blood in the penis and cause your erection to subside.
While there is no one answer to how long an erection lasts, it is important to remember that each one is special and unique. Erections are a complex process, and there are many factors that affect them.
So next time you find yourself wondering how you measure up, just relax and enjoy the moment!