If we’re crowning a king or queen of online dating, Match would be a top contender for the title. One of the largest and most popular dating sites in existence, Match.com has some seriously big shoes to fill. But we’re ready to see if it lives up to the hype with our own thorough review of their services.
Our investigation of Match.com will provide you with all the info you need to determine if this online dating site is worth your time, money, and effort. We’ll take an in-depth look at how the site works, what it costs, and whether or not it’s worth using. So sit back, relax, and let us do the legwork for you.
Here, we have handpicked those essential elements that are crucial in judging the overall experience a dating platform provides.
- Massive user base throughout the world
- Good reputation in the industry
- User friendly UX
- Lots of tools
- Even ratio of women to men
- Profiles are not instantly approved
- A paid subscription is required for a lot of features
What Is Match.com?
Match.com is the OG dating site, having launched back in 1995. It’s earned a trusted rep as a platform for singles looking for both short-term and long-term relationships. More first dates, relationships, and marriages have come from Match than any other dating site out there. You can sign up and start your search for your special someone totally free of charge. With Match in your corner, you can like, wink, and message to your heart’s content.
The more you use Match, the better it gets at matching you with potential partners. That’s because its unique matching algorithm takes into account not just what you say you want, but also your actions on the site. So whether you’re looking for someone who likes long walks on the beach or someone who’s into BDSM, Match will be able to help you find them.
For instance, no matter how much you say you like blondes, if you’re constantly checking out red-heads, Match’s algorithm will take notice. If you’re looking for someone who shares your hair color preference, you might want to rethink your browsing habits. The site relies on your expressed desires and actions to provide you with better matches, so if you’re not being honest about what you want, you won’t get very far.
Match might not be at the top of your dating site list, but it’s worth considering if you’re looking for love online. Even though it’s a paid site, it could be worth the investment if you find your perfect match!
Any Noteworthy News?
Match.com has been given several awards over the years, most notably the “People’s Choice Award” from the Dating Sites Reviews Choice Awards and the “Best Overall” award from the Online Dating Awards. They’ve also been voted as one of the “Top 10 Dating Sites” by Top Ten Reviews and one of the “Best Online Dating Sites” by ConsumerSearch.
How are the member profiles on Match.com?
So, are there actually any real people on this site? Or is it just a big ol’ sausage fest of creeps and fakes? The only way we could figure that out was by signing up and exhaustively searching the site.
We started by conducting searches in various locations across the U.S. for people of different ages, in both small and large cities. Once we had our results, we began looking through profile information.
Through our many searches, it’s safe to say there isn’t a shortage of quality dates to choose from. And we found that although some profiles were incomplete, it appeared that Match did a good job of weeding out the fake profiles.
Based on statistics from Match themselves, a little over half of all people who use the dating website Match.com live in America, and there is an equal split between genders. All age ranges are pretty well represented too, so the site is good for people of all ages.
The majority of individuals active on Match.com are seeking committed relationships–not just a hookup. If you’re looking for something more serious, this is the dating site for you. Although there’s no option to select “In a Relationship” as your current status, most users are upfront about their intentions, whether they’re never married, separated, or divorced. So go ahead and message that cutie–chances are, they’re looking for something real, too.
- Lots of Users – This site has a large, engaged userbase
- Smart Matching Algorithm – The matching algorithm is based on user-provided information, as well as user behavior. This means that it looks at the way you interact with the site and compares that to other users, in order to find the best match for you.
- Easy to Search – User friendly search options and filtering that really lets you dig deep into the wide range of potential partners.
- Search Result Placement Based on Activity – Their matching system is designed to give active users the best possible experience by placing them higher in the search results.
- Profile Verification – There are several ways to verify your profile, including through social media channels and phone. So you can be sure that the person you’re talking to is real.
- MatchMe – “MatchMe” allows users to privately request to be added to any member’s daily matches. So if you see someone you’re interested in, you can just send a little request and hope they feel the same way!
- Viewing Profiles in a New Way – Viewing profiles on Match is an experience unlike any other. You can see how you match up with other users, what ways you’re similar, and more. It’s the perfect way to find your next date!
- Connections – The Connections section is designed to help you keep track of all the interactions you have with other members on the site. This includes things like messages, comments, and ratings.
- Smart Inbox – The inbox of the future sorts your messages based on past interactions, so you never have to worry about missing an important message again!
- Daily Matches – The Match algorithm delivers a new batch of hand-picked matches to you every day. So you’ll never run out of potential suitors to peruse!
Match.com is a dating site and app with a ton of different features, but it’s still easy to use and navigate. You can join for free and see if the matchmaking and search features work for you before you commit to anything.
Sign Up Process
Joining Match.com is a quick and easy process that only requires providing some basic information like your email address, birthday, location, gender, and sexual orientation. There’s also a gay option during sign up.
After you input a username and password for your site’s login information, you will be automatically redirected to the profile wizard. The profile wizard is a quick, step-by-step process that provides your page with vital details about the site. This information includes your height, body type, relationship status, and other personal details and preferences.
The process of creating an account on Match is pretty straightforward and won’t take up too much of your time. After you provide some basic information (like your name, gender, etc.), the site will ask you to write a short ‘About Me’ paragraph with a maximum limit of 100 characters.
Once that’s done, you’ll need to upload a picture. Note that there is no picture approval process, but it’s still prudent to upload a decent photo of yourself. It’s a 100% proven fact that profiles with photos get lots more views and replies.
After completing these steps, you can log into your account without having to go through any email verification process. But verifying your account is encouraged although easily skippable. Now you’re free to use the site/app to search for a potential partner at your leisure!
Members & Messaging
This site keeps it real simple when it comes to online communication tools. Basically, you’re presented with profiles of other members and you can either show interest by liking them, or move on to the next person by skipping them. When you like someone, they get notified and are put on your list of ‘likes’. Skipping is self-explanatory.
The match.com inbox and chat features are very user–friendly and easy to use. You can easily view your matches‘ messages and start chatting with them. The chat feature is also very responsive and fast, so you can easily keep up with the conversation.
Match.com has a search feature called “Discover” which lets you find people based on gender, age, location, interests, looks, personal information, and lifestyle. You can also search by keyword if you’re feeling picky.
The search function on this website is excellent- you can save your searches, and customize the results according to different categories. This is extremely helpful when you’re looking for specific information.
Paying members of this site have 3 additional features to help sweeten the pot:
You can use this feature if you’ve already started a conversation with someone and have exchanged at least four messages with that person. Once you’ve started, you can use this feature to chat via video whenever you want.
Would you like to be one of someone’s top Matches? With our new Match Me feature, you can be! If you’re a premium member and meet the criteria someone is looking for, you could be one of the first suggested matches that appear on their screen. So why wait? Sign up now and take advantage of this great feature!
MatchPhone is a feature on the Match dating site that lets you call other users anonymously. This way, you can talk to your potential match without sacrificing your privacy. If things don’t go well, it very easy to block the user from calling you again.
This site has security measures to protect your info from digital crooks. Your account details are encrypted so that hackers can’t access them through cookies.
Match is also pretty serious about security, screening all profiles before activation and monitoring most profile changes to make sure no inappropriate images or language slip through the cracks.
Along with digital security, Match has also taken steps to protect your physical security as well:
Date Check In
If you’re going on a date with someone you met on Match, the site has a newer feature that will let your friends or family know all the details. With the Date Check-In feature, you can send a text to up to three contacts with the time, day and location of the date, as well as the name of the person you’re going out with.
Match will also send you a text during the date asking how things are going. If you need to let your contacts know that something is wrong, just reply “YES.” And if things get really bad, remember that you can always call 911.
Members can choose to display a badge on their profile page indicating whether they have been vaccinated. By activating this feature, you are letting everyone know that you have taken the necessary precautions to protect yourself and others from Covid.
We found the overall experience to be easy, fun and well thought out. After all, Match has had a lot of time to improve the UX of their site and app. We had no real issues finding what we were looking for and everything was well–organized.
One feature that really improved our experience was the activity indicator. The profiles on Match.com come with an indicator of the user’s activity level, so you can tell if someone’s been on the site recently or if they’re just inactive altogether. This helps you weed out inactive matches who might not be interested anymore.
The Pros & Cons of Match.com
- The matching algorithm is constantly being improved to take user feedback and behavior into account.
- New features and functionalities are added on a regular basis to keep users engaged.
- Has a very large user base from all over the world (over 50 countries)
- com has been responsible for more relationships and first dates than any other dating site.
- There are plenty of ways to show interest and communicate without spending any money.
- If you’re feeling exhausted from online dating, there are Match Events where you can meet other singles in person.
- Whether you’re looking for a fling or the love of your life, Match has got you covered.
- Only paid subscribers can send unlimited messages or see who has liked their profiles.
- If you want to browse incognito, you‘ll have to pay.
- The site’s approval process is not instant.
Pricing for Match.com
As of 2022, there are 3 types of plans:
Match’s pricing is fairly straightforward. While on the slightly more expensive side compared to other dating sites, you can save quite a bit when signing up for longer than 1 month.
They have broken their membership down into 2 membership types, standard and premium.
Premium plans include:
- Email read notifications – Let’s you know when the recipient has read your email, which we find quite handy.
- Monthly Boost – Match.com’s Boost feature helps you get more exposure and more dates by giving your profile a boost in the search results. With Boost, you can be one of the first profiles people see when they search for singles.
- A yearly profile review
See below for a breakdown of the Match’s pricing:
Free to sign up and browse members.
The Match.com App
The Match app is available as a free download on both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. The app requires very little storage space on your phone, making it quick and easy to download.
The Match app is simply an extension of the website. There are no additional features for mobile users.
The mobile app is more user-friendly and easier to navigate than the website, making it a better experience for mobile users. For example, using Match Phone is more convenient through the mobile app than the website. The mobile app allows users to quickly start a conversation while on the go, which is perfect for busy people.
Alternatives to Match.com
- Ashley Madison
Match.com is a more traditional dating website that allows users to create profiles and browse potential matches, while Ashley Madison is a website designed specifically for people looking to have extramarital affairs. Both websites allow users to create profiles and browse potential matches, but Ashley Madison offers more anonymity and discretion for users.
There are dating sites. There are cheating sites. And then, there’s Ashley Madison. If I have to describe this ...
The developers of this website were wary of Ashley Madison’s popularity and hence did try to steer clear by changing the target group to swingers and fetish enthusiasts. But yes, it is probably one of the few places where you can enjoy the pie regardless of your relationship status.
Does AdultFriendFinder Work in 2022? Our Review of One of the Oldest Hookup Sites on the Web Editor choiceOur review of AdultFriendFinder will include our own exclusive ratings based on features, cost, quality and other ...
If you’re looking for love, Match.com is definitely worth checking out. This dating site has been perfecting its online tools and match algorithm for over two decades, helping thousands of singles find their perfect match. And it’s not just some airy-fairy concept – the proof is in the success stories on the Match blog, which highlight the life-changing impact the site has had on everyday individuals.
Dating has come a long way since 1995- and so has Match. This site has been responsible for transforming the dating landscape and helping millions of singles find compatible partners. It’s easy to use, professionally designed, and full of success stories from people who have found love thanks to Match. If you’re looking for lasting love, it’s time to give this site a try.